The D-U-N-S Number
The Data Universal Numbering System (D-U-N-S) Number is a unique, nine-digit number assigned to every business location in the Dun & Bradstreet database that has a unique, separate and distinct operation. D-U-N-S Numbers are used by industries and organizations around the world as a global standard for business identification and tracking.
D-U-N-S Numbers can help companies:
- Consolidate, cleanse and eliminate duplicate records within databases
- Streamline the information held in disparate databases and improve customer service by linking related customer accounts to support a “one customer” view
- Identify risk exposure and highlight cross selling opportunities within the same corporate family group
- Integrate internal systems by linking payables/receivables and tracking business documentation to the business entity and location level
- Link interrelated suppliers to leverage your corporate buying power
- Integrate additional demographic information from D&B to provide a profile of customers, suppliers and prospects.
How is a D-U-N-S Number assigned?
The D-U-N-S Number is solely maintained by Dun & Bradstreet. When a business is first entered into the Dun & Bradstreet business information database each location that has its own unique, separate and distinct operation, is assigned its own D-U-N-S Number.
Did you find this article helpful?